It may be the case, something that is more frequent than we think, that a single computer with a Windows account is used by several people, users who have access to the same programs and documents, so sometimes you have to take some precautions.
By having Windows 10 installed on your computers, users choose which applications are installed on their system. However, some applications are grouped. Likewise, when you install an application, you install some others. Often, you do not have the option to skip installing some of the applications in the package.
This may not be as important if those additional applications do not run by themselves. But they tend to run automatically. Here’s how you can block the execution of an application in Windows 10 iso.
Block an application in Windows 10
Applications are locked in the Windows registry, which means you need administrator rights to do this. You have to use the Win + R keyboard shortcut to open the execution box in Windows 10 Pro. And in the execution box you must type ‘regedit’. Now press the Enter key. Once the registry editor is open, go to the following key.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies
- There must be a key in the Policies called Explorer. If it is not there, right-click on Policies and select New and then on Password in the menu. Name it Explorer.
- Now, right-click on the Explorer key and select New and then DWORD Value (32 bits). Name the value DisallowRun. Then, you must double-click on the DisallowRun value and enter 1 in the data box.
- Then, right-click on the Explorer key and select New and then on Key in the context menu. Name the new DisallowRun key. Right-click on the DisallowRun key and select New and then String Value. You must give it a numerical name. For example, name it “1”.
- Double click on it and in the Value box enter the name of the EXE of the application you want to block. For example, if you want to block the execution of Notepad, you will enter the following.
To block multiple applications, you must create a separate string value under the DisallowRun key. You have to give it numerical names and enter the name of the EXE of the application you want to block. After adding all the values, you must restart your system for the change to take effect.
In Microsoft Windows 10 you can set the Windows Defender Firewall to block or unblock certain applications. Here’s how.
- Select the “Start” button, then type “firewall“.
- Select the “Windows Defender Firewall” option.
- Choose the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” option in the left pane.
- Unchecking the box to the left of the application name disallows it from accessing network resources, while checking it allows access. You can also check the boxes to the right of the name labeled “Private” or “Public” to allow and disallow the app on private or public networks respectively.
- If the program you wish to block or unblock is not listed, you can click the “Allow another app…” button to add it. Choose the application in the list and select “Add“. If the program is not in this list, use the “Browse…” button to select the program file manually.
The applications you blocked will no longer be able to run
When you run the application, either from its EXE or from a shortcut or tile, it will not open. You will not receive any type of error message or message that tells you that the application has been blocked. If any other application tries to run or open the blocked application, you will not be able to run it.
You should keep in mind that some applications may depend on other applications being installed and running for them to work. If you block an application that other applications depend on, you may not be able to use them. So you must be sure before blocking applications in Windows 10 to download.
Finally, you can undo this change by deleting the string value you created under the DisallowRun key. Be sure to restart your system after doing this.
Prevent a program from connecting to the internet
AskAdmin is a security-oriented application, it provides the possibility to avoid running any program or file that we configure. In this way, it works as an excellent parental control system or to prevent any intruder from running programs or seeing sensitive files. It is a completely free app that will allow us to rest easy before any user who wants to enter the restricted areas of your team.
AskAdmin generates the ban through a password and anyone who wants to lift the limitation must know it beforehand. The same can be done with any file that contains sensitive information, just by dragging it towards the interface, it will be protected against anyone who wants to open it.
In addition, in the “Extras” menu you will find the option to block native Windows applications, so that, when you enter you will see the whole list of programs to be blocked.
AskAdmin is an excellent solution if you want to keep sure that no one will run any application or open sensitive files. The system is kept protected under password avoiding unwanted income and in addition, the application is completely free.